[DCRM-L] Comments welcome for BSC's response to RDA Chapters 6 & 7

nschneider at nypl.org nschneider at nypl.org
Thu Jul 20 15:31:08 MDT 2006

Greetings:

As you may recall from the Bibliographic Standards Committee meeting at
ALA, a group was formed to review and comment upon Chapters 6 and 7 of RDA.
I've attached a draft that this subcommittee has created.

Please look it over and let me know if I need to emend anything or haven't
addressed a rule (or rules) that should be commented upon. Any other
comments, concerns, and questions are welcome.

One aspect of the rules in Chapter 7 that the Task Force disagrees upon is
that of primary access point for performances. One argument :

   While the chapter seems to deviate very little from AACR2 for printed
   material, I take serious exception to some of the rules for cataloging
   performances. (This, btw, is coming from someone who has never cataloged
   a recording before, so I  may be completely in the wrong about it.)
   According to the rules as they are now written, collections of recorded
   popular music are to be cataloged with main entry going to the composer
   of the songs rather than the performer.  The rule at 7.2.8.4.1 is an
   example of this change: a collection songs composed by Lennon &
   McCartney performed by Tommy James now has John Lennon as the main
   entry.  Emmylou Harris' album "Pieces of the sky" is now given a title
   main entry because the songs have various composers (7.2.5.5.1a.1)
   This rule seems to have been created to make cataloging popular music
   recordings consistent with cataloging classical music recordings (where
   the composer is given the primary access point).  This does not,
   however, take into account the fundamental difference between the
   intentions of classical and popular recordings!

The other argument:

   I don't have a problem with this, but I'm biased. I'm married to a
   composer who complains that the composers never get credit. If the
   composer never wrote the song, then no one would be performing it.  I
   guess in the long run it doesn't matter all that much just as long as
   the performer(s) gets traced along with the composer.

Please note that we are working with short deadlines. If you do wish to
comment on the attached draft or any aspect of Chapters 6 and 7, please do
so by next Thursday, July 27.

Thank you on behalf of the Task Force for the Review of RDA Chapters 6 & 7.

Nina

(See attached file: DRAFT_comment_RDA6-7.doc)
Nina Schneider
Librarian
Berg Collection of English & American Literature, Room 320
The New York Public Library
Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street
New York, NY  10018-2788

Tel.: (212) 642-0111