[DCRM-L] Proofreading Appendices B& E

Sun Nov 19 09:54:09 MST 2006

Many thanks, Elizabeth.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu
[mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Johnson, Elizabeth L.
	Sent: 22 September 2006 10:44
	To: DCRM Revision Group List
	Subject: [DCRM-L] Proofreading Appendices B& E

	Comment on both B & E.

	This is a general question about style.  Appendix B uses bullets
for
	statements after a colon.  See for example B1.1.

	Appendix E does not use the same format for these same type of
lists.
	See for example E1.2.Following this default approach, generally
	consider that a new bibliographic record is required whenever
the item
	being cataloged distinguished itself from other variants by one
of more
	of the following characteristics:

	change in content ...

	different setting ...

	I think in Appendix B these statements would have been indented
with a bullet.[DJL]  Agree. Fixed.

	Comments on Appendix B.
	If bullets are the chosen method, then in B2.1 the first group
needs a bullet.

	B2.1 Collections mornally fall into one of three categories:

	      * groups of items that come to a library already well
organized
	by a previous

	"Artificial" collections are now called "intentional"
collections by
	the archival world.  "Formerly called "artificial collections" "
was
	how they are described in the workbook to SAA workshop "MARC
According
	to DACS: archival cataloging to the new descriptive standard",
p. 56.
	There is another use of the term artificial collections on p.
148 in
	the bulltet that begins Acquired individually.[DJL]  Changed
text to read:
*	groups of items that are assembled into collections by the
library for the purpose of processing and storage, and are therefore
termed "intentional collections" (previously called "artificial
collections")

	B4. bottom of p. 148.  Is there a way to move the header Leader
and
	directory to the next page?[DJL]  Yes; done (naturally)

	Control field: 008  06:Type of date.  Are we sure that we can
use m?  I
	thought the choices for a collection-level value c were either i
or k.[DJL]  Reviewing MARC21 bibliographic, I do not see that "m" is
prohibited if coding for collection-level. Am I looking in the wrong
place?

	520 field: Summary, etc.

	In this paragraph, the first sentence is repeated as the fourth
sentence.[DJL]  Deleted first occurrence.

	No further comments on Appendix E.

	Cheers,
	Elizabeth Johnson