[DCRM-L] Encoding levels

Wed Sep 12 15:25:26 MDT 2007

Encoding levels containing letters of the alphabet rather than numbers
are OCLC-specific. A blank encoding level in MARC 21 means that the
record represents full level, item-in-hand cataloging. It is OCLC who
instructs us to use a modified value based on its own system processes
or record-keeping or whatever. DCRM(B) discusses MARC only it its
appendixes, but endeavors to keep to standard MARC rather than any
system-specific modification of MARC.

So, yes Amanda, I suppose you are to use encoding level I. So do we,
even though it irks aplenty.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library