[DCRM-L] Gathering in 9s?!

John Lancaster jlancaster at amherst.edu
Fri Oct 2 13:30:12 MDT 2009

There are lots of 18mo's gathered in 9s; I've only seen it in American printing - a quick look at the American Antiquarian Society catalogue, using "18mo" as a keyword, turns up several in the first couple of dozen I looked at.  There are at least as many gathered in 12s+6s.  I imagine it is uncommon to find both versions in one volume, though.  (Matthew Carey's Miscellaneous trifles in prose, Philadelphia, printed by Lang & Ustick, 1796, is a combination of 12mo and 18mo, the 18mo part gathered in 9s.)

Typically, the singleton is the center leaf in the gathering (at least in my experience), but it always needs to be specified, e.g. "A-D^9 ($5 a singleton)".  [Sorry, I can't do superscripts in this e-mail program.]

Gaskell, A New Introduction to Bibliography, gives one common 18mo imposition (fig. 61); Savage's Dictionary of the Art of Printing gives dozens, with commentary.