[DCRM-L] Cataloging bound-withs

Allison Rich allison_rich at brown.edu
Fri Nov 12 08:24:42 MST 2010

Hello Daryl

> As for the OPAC, I think it is really reliant on what cataloguing
> software you are using. We use Millennium here, and I am currently
> working with the head of Bib. Services to try and work out a way that
> a user could click on the hyperlinked classmark and it would take them
> to a list of all bibliographic items found under that classmark. I am
> also just starting to pursue working out a way to implement a
> hyperlink into the 501 field, either in the display constant or in our
> phrasing: (e.g. St Andrews copy at _TypBL.C25AD_ bound with: &c. --
> &c.) so that a list would be doubly accessible through the OPAC and
> more fully display the nature of the volume. So far we are hitting
> brick walls most places we turn, but there must be a way. Currently,
> all we can do on the OPAC side of things is include an extensive 501
> note, listing all items in the bound-with (if under ten items) or
> listing how many, what number the bibliographic item is, and the
> subject and date range (St. Andrews copy at TypBL.C25AD: fourteenth
> item in a volume of 28 pamphlets on tithes dated 1625-1722.|5StSaUL).

We can do that :)
In our Millennium the shelf mark is hyperlinked and when you click on
that link it will take you to all the items within that bound volume as
long as the volume designation is given.

E789 |b .T33m v. 1 (the shelf mark as it appears in the item record)

will you give you everything in volume 1.

Maye that will help!
If you would like to discuss it off list, please feel free to email me,

Best,
~Allison

--

"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend,

Allison Rich
Catalogue Librarian
John Carter Brown Library
Providence, Rhode Island