[DCRM-L] Demographic terms

Lauren Reno lauren.reno at duke.edu
Fri Dec 11 10:58:42 MST 2015

I am writing to see if any of you have been applying LC demographic terms or LCSH to the MARC 386 field.

http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd386.html

Of note is the use of these fields specifically for works or expressions but not manifestations.  I think it would be incredibly useful for manifestation level description.  For example, we will be cataloging a collection of bindings by women in the near future and could foresee using the 386.  Does anyone know why these terms were limited to describing works and expressions?

e.g.

386 -- $a Women bookbinders $2 lcsh $5 NcD

Thanks,
Lauren

Lauren Reno
Head, Rare Materials Cataloging Section
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library | Duke University
lauren.reno at duke.edu<mailto:lauren.reno at duke.edu>
919-660-5832