[DCRM-L] Cataloging guidelines for manuscripts in non-Latin scripts

Matthew C. Haugen mch2167 at columbia.edu
Tue Nov 8 12:41:22 MST 2022

The AMREMM/DCRM(MSS) Review Group
<https://rbms.info/files/committees/bibliographic_standards/committee-docs/AMREMM-DCRMMss-report/AMREMM%20DCRM(MSS)%20Final%20Report.pdf>
looked
into a similar question a few years ago, and though you technically can
still apply AMREMM or DCRM(MSS), we found that there isn't much guidance in
those standards or elsewhere specifically for manuscripts in non-Latin
scripts. For the most part there are separate guidelines for non-Latin
scripts and for manuscripts that have to be cobbled together with one of
the standards for MSS. There are guidelines for Japanese
<https://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/premeiji.pdf> and Chinese
<https://www.eastasianlib.org/ctp/webinars/ChineseRareBook/CRBP_guidelines.pdf>
rare
books, both of which also include some provisions for manuscripts in those
scripts, as well as some resources on manuscript cataloging
<https://sites.google.com/princeton.edu/mela-conc/cataloging-manuals/mss?authuser=0>
from the Middle East Librarians Association (MELA) committee on cataloging,
mainly for MSS in Arabic script. The Hebraica Cataloging resources
<http://rascat.pbworks.com/w/page/7836007/Home> and Slavic cataloging manual
<https://sites.google.com/site/seesscm/home/subject-index?authuser=0> sites
both have ample script-specific resources but I don't find anything
specific to manuscripts upon a preliminary skim.

Matthew

--
Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger | Columbia University Libraries