[DCRM-L] Author's Name in a Dutch and Latin Statement of Responsibility

Rebecca Flore rflore at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 18 09:04:54 MST 2022

Hi all,

I'm looking for some input on how to establish a name authority record for an author whose name is given in the statement of responsibility as what appears to be a combination of Latin and Dutch (in a book published in 1672). The statement of responsibility on the title page is "alle beschreven door Antonii Eygel, medicinae doctor." The National Library of the Netherlands' established form of the name is "Eygel, Antonius."

Is "Antonii" functioning as a Latin genitive (why genitive here?) and I should record the name as "Eygel, Antonius" in the 100 1_ of the name authority record? If so, should I record "Eygel, Antonii" as a 400 1_ for the name as it appears on the title page?

Or is this a Dutch nominative that I should record as 100 1_ Eygel, Antonii with 400 1_ Eygel Antonius referencing the Dutch authority record?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Best wishes,

Rebecca

Rebecca Flore
Special Collections Metadata Librarian
The Hanna Holborn Gray Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
rflore at uchicago.edu<mailto:rflore at uchicago.edu>
773-702-7602