[DCRM-L] DCRM(R) https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/ZQXhC73yPMH73xKi8ZvSA?domain=6.22.37.1 If a resource consists entirely of non-textual material ...

Mon Nov 28 10:34:56 MST 2022

Catch-22: Given that DCRMR doesn't currently include instructions for non-printed non-textual material, this instruction says that you can't use DCRMR to describe the resource. And if you're not using DCRMR, you don't have to follow this restriction.

Even without the conundrum, it seems unnecessarily restrictive.

______________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS (she/her) | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | 202.675-0369 | djleslie at folger.edu | www.folger.edu
From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Lapka, Francis
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2022 11:34
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: [DCRM-L] DCRM(R) https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/ZQXhC73yPMH73xKi8ZvSA?domain=6.22.37.1 If a resource consists entirely of non-textual material ...

A question for DCRMR editors:

DCRMR 6.22.37.1<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/ZQXhC73yPMH73xKi8ZvSA?domain=6.22.37.1> says:

If a resource consists entirely of non-textual material (e.g., photographs, portraits, maps), do not record the presence of illustrations. Instead, describe the resource using the instructions for the appropriate content type (e.g., still image, cartographic image, etc.)
https://bsc.rbms.info/DCRMR/phys-desc/Illustrative-content/#62237-resources-consisting-entirely-or-chiefly-of-illustrations<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/7yPGC82zQgi4nZ0S1YjVw?domain=bsc.rbms.info>

If I've understood this correctly, DCRMR tells us that a work composed entirely of engraved images should be cataloged as a graphic resource. Is that correct? Does it matter whether the resource has a letterpress title page or cover title (for example: https://worldcat.org/title/1290320394<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/aVo9C9rA0jU7ogXi3xwuG?domain=worldcat.org>)?

For comparison, DCRM(G)'s Appendix H has these introductory remarks:

This appendix provides guidance for cataloging formally published portfolios, books of plates, etc. bearing formal title pages when graphic material characteristics are the primary focus of the description. The primary differences from book cataloging are the presence of the general material designation "graphic," and a statement of extent counts and describes images instead of focusing on pagination. An institution might, for example, decide to catalog volumes that consist chiefly or entirely illustrations as books when the images are reproductive prints, and as graphic material when the images themselves are works of art (see introductory section X on precataloging decisions).

To date, my repository has largely followed the distinction described in that final sentence. For records I see in OCLC as well, volumes of reproductive prints are much more frequently described as books (with DCRMB) than as graphics. In DCRMR, they'd all be graphics? I'd be okay with such a change, though it is significant.

Thanks,
Francis

Francis Lapka
Senior Catalog Librarian
Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
Yale Center for British Art
203-432-9672  *  britishart.yale.edu<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/4pJHCgJDmyfQVxRtEZudM?domain=nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com>