[DCRM-L] Determining work relationships (series or not?)

Fri Jan 13 10:01:34 MST 2023

Hi Seth.

You can be confident that what you have are not monographic series. At most you’d have a multi-part monograph. I would not take the records you found in OCLC to be authoritative. I’d give you a better answer if I weren’t busy with something else, but I hope this is enough to steer you in a good direction.
______________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS (she/her) | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | 202.675-0369 | djleslie at folger.edu | www.folger.edu
From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Huber, Seth
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2023 11:41
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: [DCRM-L] Determining work relationships (series or not?)

This is sort of an odd question, but how recent is the idea of a monographic series? I’m asking because I have a couple of late 17th-early 18th century French books and I can’t determine from the information available to me how they may be related. The first is OCLC# 24762108, Les anciennes liturgies, ou, La manière dont on a dit la sainte Messe dans chaque siècle. The record has a preferred title that treats it as the first part of a work, though the book itself makes no mention of this. It’s is a 1704 edition of a work that was initially published in 1697; I’ve been able to examine a copy of the 1697 edition and it doesn’t have any indication that it’s a component of anything larger. The other book in question is OCLC# 24775169, a 2-volume work titled L'ancien sacramentaire de l'èglise, ou, La manière dont on administroit les sacremens chez les grecs & chez les latins, published in 1699. Both volumes have the equivalent of a series title page identifying them as “Tome second” and “Tome troisieme” of Les anciennes liturgies, and that title appears, along with volume numbering, on the spines of all three books in question, and it’s not known to me if the binding is contemporary. The limited biographical information I could find on the author, Jean Grancolas, made no suggestion that these works were related in any way. The same printer was responsible for both titles; is there any chance that the printer would have called this a series, and what is the best way to treat these given the information available? I hope this makes sense.

Seth Huber
Technical Services Librarian/Head of Cataloging
University of Missouri—Columbia
huberse at missouri.edu<mailto:huberse at missouri.edu>
573-884-4648