[DCRM-L] Cataloging a Manuscript Fragment That's Been Reunited with Its Original Codex

Maria Oldal oldalm at themorgan.org
Mon Jun 26 16:17:36 MDT 2023

Rebecca,

You may want to consider the system(s) the record or records will live in,
and all the practical uses the record(s) will satisfy down the line. A
collection management system works much better with separate records. It
will be able to handle acquisition, credit line, provenance, location
tracking, conservation, exhibition, loans, etc. information much better,
especially that the two items remain physically separate. Even though a
library system can easily accommodate an extra item record and perform
library transactions at the item level, once you need to move and use the
record in a different system, it is difficult to tease out data elements
that are for the codex and the ones for the leaf. Another consideration is
the content of the leaf. If it is a full-page miniature, you may opt to
describe it under the illuminator with a title for the content of the
image, and elaborate on the connection to the codex in the notes and
additional access points.

Enjoy this wonderful new acquisition!

Maria

--
Maria Oldal
Manager of Collections Information and Library Systems
Email: oldalm at themorgan.org