[DCRM-L] Official Launch of RBMS Controlled Vocabulary for Rare Materials Cataloging

Bychowski, Brenna brenna.bychowski at yale.edu
Mon Mar 6 09:28:51 MST 2023

*Please excuse cross-posting.*

On behalf of the RBMS Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group, we are pleased to announce the official launch of the Controlled Vocabulary for Rare Materials Cataloging (RBMS CVRMC). RBMS CVRMC is a linked data thesaurus that combines the former RBMS Thesauri (Genre, Binding, Type, Printing and Publishing, Paper, and Provenance) into a single resource with a redesigned structure. It is hosted by the Library of Congress Linked Data Service at https://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/rbmscv.html. The RBMS Relationship Designators have also been migrated to LC LDS and can be found at https://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/rbmsrel.html. When using terms from RBMS CVRMC in a MARC record, the new code is $2 rbmscv. The six former thesauri are now officially deprecated.

We are in the process of creating a crosswalk spreadsheet for use in bibliographic file maintenance, and we will make an announcement once it is available. We are also designing a new form for submitting proposed terms or edits to existing terms. Once that is ready, we will open the thesaurus for new term submissions.

We want to thank everyone whose hard work made the new thesaurus a reality, including members of CVEG and everyone who provided feedback during the public review last year. We are particularly grateful to our fellow members of the Thesaurus Integration Subgroup, Amy Brown, Ryan Hildebrand, Jennifer Bradshaw, and Brian Stearns, who gave generously of their time, expertise, and good humor. We are also grateful for the support of Nate Trail and LC's Linked Data Service and their hosting and support of the RBMS CVRMC going forward.

We also wanted to share responses to some of the larger themes that arose from the public feedback, and those responses follow.

Best,

Brenna Bychowski and Lauren Reno

Co-chairs, RBMS Controlled Vocabularies Editorial Group

  1.  New terms. Many people noted the absence of terms of interest that are not currently available in the thesaurus. We encourage the submission of new term proposals once our revised form is available.
  2.  Binding terms. There were several responses specifically related to available binding terms and its hierarchy. We are open to the submission of additional binding terms, and we also want to emphasize that the available terms are specifically for use in indexing. They are not intended to limit or curtail binding descriptions made elsewhere in a catalog record.
  3.  Subdivisions. We approved the policy to not allow subdivisions for the new thesaurus back in 2019, and we continue to support that decision. We understand that several institutions make heavy use of the terms that were specifically intended for subdivision, especially Typefaces. CVEG never maintained authorized subdivisions for any of those terms, so there was no standardization or control coming from RBMS. Any control of subdivisions happening within a given institution is being done by that institution, and that work can continue going forward, using $2 local instead of an RBMS code.
  4.  Hierarchical view. Nate Trail and the Library of Congress Linked Data Service has designed a hierarchical browse/view located on the landing page at https://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/rbmscv.html<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https*3A*2F*2Fid.loc.gov*2Fvocabulary*2Frbmscv.html&data=05*7C01*7Cbrenna.bychowski*40yale.edu*7Cf5509ee27c0846bf6e0808db1e5aa293*7Cdd8cbebb21394df8b4114e3e87abeb5c*7C0*7C0*7C638137146850605136*7CUnknown*7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0*3D*7C3000*7C*7C*7C&sdata=1YbZepZ9Xuof1arn4hsU7Zd8vYIVwaK8YZHBstnkJo8*3D&reserved=0__;JSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUlJSUl!!OToaGQ!uUdBqLo3Zx-YRvjbyPqJ4wabIcM9_3EfOIZjTC2id51BmTcgOY047ECY84shCsR9ouywvR7xaKQ2SW2EE4w5ExG86w4Czd8$> under "Hierarchical scheme member view."