[DCRM-L] displaced imprint labels

Thu Oct 26 13:36:28 MDT 2023

I'm leaning toward treating it as the later issue, and see if I felt the same the next day.

______________________
Deborah J Leslie [cid:image001.png at 01DA0822.2EFE50E0] , M.A., M.L.S. | Senior Cataloger | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | Opinions her own

From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Lapka, Francis via DCRM-L
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2023 13:09
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Cc: Lapka, Francis <francis.lapka at yale.edu>
Subject: [DCRM-L] displaced imprint labels

At my desk, I have what at first appears to be a copy of the 1616 edition of Speed's Theatrum imperii Magnae Britanniae (London ... 1616 ... Iohn Sudbury ...). See ESTC S107575: http://estc.bl.uk/S107575<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/PpakCpYoyniBgZJHPsEJK?domain=estc.bl.uk>.

On a blank leaf preceding the title page, this copy has a series of five printed labels providing a different imprint (Amstelodami ... 1621 ... Hondij ...), presumably intended to cover the imprint on the original title page. See pic attached. Skelton (https://rbms.info/scf/?scf_entries=skelton-r-a-county-atlases-of-the-british-isles-1579-1850<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/elb4CqxpzotogvxsXqsmW?domain=rbms.info>) notes the existence of the 1621 imprint but I haven't found a copy in OCLC or elsewhere.

My instinct is to treat this mostly as if the labels covered the title page, transcribing (in field 264) the imprint as found on the labels and making a note to record information about the original imprint. In fact, I wonder if at one time the labels did cover the imprint and were then displaced by a later owner (very neatly). Is it at all possible that the labels would have been issued in the manner they currently exist, on the extra page? I've never seen this.

The alternative, I suppose, is to catalog this as a copy of the 1616 edition, noting the labels as a copy-specific detail.

What would others do?

Thanks,
Francis

Francis Lapka
Senior Catalog Librarian
Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
Yale Center for British Art
203-432-9672  *  britishart.yale.edu<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/PSsFCv2xGwi3JZPhAyhBj?domain=britishart.yale.edu/>