[DCRM-L] OCLC cataloging subscription

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman dezel002 at umn.edu
Wed Feb 14 05:57:44 MST 2024

I answered more generally on the Alma list, but in terms of special
collections cataloging, I can't imagine trying to do that in Alma. In
particular, searching for records with Alma's very limited external search
options would be a nightmare. The availability of macros, and the
methodology for entering special characters and diacritics, is also much
more robust and efficient in OCLC Connexion.

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 10:07 AM MacDonald, Jennifer via DCRM-L <
dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Like many institutions, we are going through budget cuts. My
> administration is considering cancelling our OCLC cataloging subscription.
> Is anyone at an institution that did this, or contemplated doing it? Was
> your subscription kept or not, and what was the reasoning behind the
> decision? What tools or platforms did you use, or consider using, instead
> of OCLC? Were the needs of special collections cataloging taken into
> account? If it was cancelled, what kind of fallout did your institution
> experience? I'm particularly interested in outcomes for special collections
> cataloging, but general cataloging would help as well.  On- or off-list
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jennifer
>
> [image: University of Delaware]
>
> *Jennifer MacDonald*
>
> (She/her)
>
> *Librarian and Head, Cataloging and Metadata Department*
>
> UD Library, Museums and Press
>
> 181 South College Avenue, Newark, DE 19717
>
> University of Delaware
> Room 113B  |  302-831-1512
> jsmacdon at udel.edu

> Alternately, to unsubscribe from this list send a message to
> dcrm-l-leave at lib.byu.edu. You will receive an email requesting
> confirmation of your request.

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman
Cataloging Policies and Practices Librarian | Cataloging, Metadata, &
Digitization Services | University of Minnesota Libraries
160 Wilson Library | 309 19th Ave. S. | Minneapolis, MN 55455
dezel002 at umn.edu
she, her, hers