[DCRM-L] Weird use of a ? in a French atlas statement of responsibility

Attig, John C jxa16 at psu.edu
Thu Feb 29 18:04:18 MST 2024

Amanda:

My suspicion is that the letters displayed as a ? were actually superscript letters on the title page – and were recorded as such in the MARC record.  OCLC uses a question mark for characters that it doesn’t know how to display (i.e., characters not in the MARC character set).  This is just one of the joys that occur when a cataloger pastes data into an OCLC record without checking whether all the characters are in fact validly encoded.

John Attig
Penn State, retired.