[DCRM-L] Volunteer Recruitment for RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Steering Group

Gowan, Jana Jana-Gowan at utulsa.edu
Fri Jan 12 11:04:37 MST 2024

Hello,

The RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Steering Group (BSC DEI SG) seeks interested members to join our group. The Steering Group currently includes 15 members, 9 of which are not BSC members. Our group’s charge includes, but is not limited to:

  *   Develop DEI guiding principles for metadata creation in relation to special collections

  *   Develop guidelines for creating institutional statements on harmful language and bias in cataloging

  *   Provide guidance and critical feedback to all aspects of  BSC activities in regards to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts

In keeping with the spirit of our mission and goals, membership to ALA, RBMS, or any other professional organization is not required to volunteer with our Steering Group. We welcome anyone with an interest in working with libraries, information, and cultural heritage.

Our Steering Group has a unique structure. We function as an advisory board, identifying areas of work and then charging smaller groups to complete the projects. Steering Group members act as project leads. The idea is that the subgroups do the heavy lifting -- this allows us to invite underrepresented members of the community to serve on the Steering Group, while not adding to the overcommitment that many of our BIPOC colleagues often face. For an idea of the group’s structure and the nature of our work, please see our charge<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DEZzKE_2-DbISL5EmfAKWpPeu-mmf6ZVWIgzC89T-1g/edit?usp=sharing>.

Steering Group members should expect to serve on BSC DEI SG for one year with the option to continue working with the group in the next volunteer cycle. Individual projects will have varying time commitments. The Steering Group is currently meeting every other month for an hour, with individual project groups setting their own schedules. Current projects include:

  *   Developing guidelines for harmful metadata statements and statements on the importance of DEI work

  *   Developing a BSC Fellowship to create a leadership opportunity for early career professionals and diversify the committee

  *   Developing a peer-to-peer mentorship network, focused on cataloging and metadata creation

If you are interested, please fill out this form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfiJ0K4kIqg5I2b5gPK3tKvxg7jOCQ0Q9rPUTj4CKMudtcwJQ/viewform?usp=sf_link> before February 20th, 2024. As we are recruiting a small number of individuals, we will use responses from form submissions to make our final decisions. Please feel free to share with those who might be interested.

Kind regards,
Jana Gowan (she/her)
Co-Chair, BSC DEI SG
Librarian, Helmerich Center for American Research
Gilcrease Museum/The University of Tulsa