<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<style type="text/css" style="display:none;"> P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;} </style>
</head>
<body dir="ltr">
<div style="direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="elementToProof">
Hello, Samantha:</div>
<div style="direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style="direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="elementToProof">
For our indie tarot collection, we catalog decks with the OCLC Books workform but treat the deck as the primary material and the instruction booklet as accompanying material. If half of our collection had not been cataloged as books previously, I would have
 chosen to treat them as visual materials ("k"-- two-dimensional nonprojected graphic and TMat "i"). However, I did not want to change existing practice mid-project.</div>
<div style="direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style="direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="elementToProof">
Our documentation is not available publicly, but I am happy to share if you contact me offlist. I used a combination of OLAC's Best Practices for Cataloging Objects, Beinecke's playing cards cataloging instructions (<a href="https://rbc-cataloging-manual.beinecke.library.yale.edu/playing-cards" data-auth="NotApplicable" id="OWA5e6fb221-a655-27d4-c05a-3a04e4b4b940" class="OWAAutoLink">https://rbc-cataloging-manual.beinecke.library.yale.edu/playing-cards</a>),
 and our existing local guidelines. I also received helpful guidance from Guy Frost, Catalog Librarian at Valdosta State University and NACO and SACO Occult/Esoteric Funnels co-coordinator. I wish there were best practices guidelines available for tarot and
 oracle decks since OCLC records show that cataloging practice varies a lot.</div>
<div style="direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div style="direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="elementToProof">
Vernica</div>
<div style="direction: ltr; font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" class="elementToProof">
<br>
</div>
<div id="Signature" class="elementToProof">
<p style="direction: ltr; margin: 0in;"><span style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Vernica M. Downey</span></p>
<p style="direction: ltr; margin: 0in;"><span style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Metadata Librarian for Distinctive Collections</span></p>
<p style="direction: ltr; margin: 0in;"><span style="font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">MIT Libraries</span></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>