DCRM and visual materials

Elizabeth Robinson erobinson at huntington.org
Tue Apr 20 11:34:21 MDT 1999

Hello all,

Bob has asked me to lead discussion on another "other formats" topic in our revision of DCRB, namely visual materials.

Recently at the ARLIS/NA conference in Vancouver, I presented a paper on cataloging rare art books and visual materials. For the latter, I noted that I have been using a variety of codes (GIHC for 2-D items, AACR2 chapter 10 for 3-D items, APPM for some collections).

Per Bob's suggestion, I also asked the audience at my session to get in contact with me or Bob if interested in participating with us in the revision of DCRB/M as far as visual materials are concerned. So far, no takers as far as I know. I'm not surprised about that since the audience was mainly novice catalogers or art librarians who are mainly reference people who have to somehow deal with special collections items. The session, btw, was not limited to cataloging but dealt with the art book and visual materials as special collections items for art libraries. Topics included collection development, preservation, electronic publication, as well as cataloging.

Anyway, to return to my charge, I am just trying to get the ball rolling as far as what we want DCRB (or DCRM) to do with visual materials. We can refer to these other codes (listed above) perhaps in an appendix but do we also want to look at each and recommend DCRB-like supplementary instruction? Do we want to contact the authors of these codes -- GIHC and APPM in particular -- about making a similar link to DCRM?

Thanks.

--Eliz.