Relator terms--punctuation and spacing

Juliet McLaren juliet at ucrac1.ucr.edu
Fri Feb 12 14:56:09 MST 1999

Well, I agree, the lack of information or examples specific to all the
rules given for subfields is frustrating, but I think the question is
probably more about spacing than about the comma, which I believe is always
used before the $e.  Whether the record shows up with or without a space
may have something to do with USMARC variants used by different systems as
well as with ad hoc cataloging decisions or even typos ...

My vote (if we are voting here) would be for the hypen + 1 space + comma
before the $e, since it is a combination of two known rules: 1) following
an open date with a single space in personal name entries; and 2) preceding
the $e with a comma.

Over to all of you ... juliet