Topic 4. Transcription

Elizabeth Robinson erobinson at huntington.org
Fri Jan 15 11:15:05 MST 1999

Hello.

The topic I am working on (as regards revision of DCRB) is the transcription rules. The chief one seems to be the i/j and u/v issues, so I will start with that. However, if there are other transcription issues we need to discuss, please let me know.

The rule in question for i/j, etc. is 0H which currently instructs catalogers to first try to determine a pattern of usage and then use the table within the rule as last resort. This is for conversion between upper and lowercase.

As I see it, the options are:

1. Leave it like it is.

	EX.  245 10 Advice from a country judge.

		[Printed as: ADUICE FROM A COUNTRY 		IUDGE]

2. Leave it like it is and add a statement to enter a 246 (variant of title) in the manner in which printed (which is what many libraries do already):

	EX. 245 10 Advice from a country judge.
	      246 3_ Aduice from a country iudge

3. Do a vice versa: 245 as printed and 246 as conversion.

	EX. 245 10 Aduice from a country iudge.
	      246 3_ Advice from a country judge

Are there other problematic transcription areas we need to discuss?

Thanks.

--Elizabeth A. Robinson
  Principal Rare Book Cataloger
  Huntington Library