DCRB-AACR2 analysis

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Jun 3 15:04:07 MDT 1999

I have begun the analysis of DCRB compared to AACR2 that was assigned to me
and find this is taking a LONG time. However, I have finished the "0" rules
and have mounted documents on the BYU Library server for you to read and
comment on. Each document takes a subsection of "0", includes the complete
DCRB text as well as the pertinent AACR2 text, and then has my written
comparison, comments, and recommendations. I tried to base my analysis and
criticism on the principles we have established, that DCRB should follow
the Paris Principles and only depart from AACR2 when there is a sound rare
cataloging reason. I will send out, this afternoon, a series of messages
containing the addresses of each "0" subsection and the wording of its
recommendation. Please read the analysis and respond to the list with your
thoughts and opinions on the analysis and recommendation. I will try to
incorporate comments as much as possible in the documents, which I intend
to be available to the public via the BSC home page.

I will continue to go through DCRB rule by rule in this manner. We shall
see how far I get before Annual. Meanwhile, I would like if possible to
have all of our thoughts geared up for the "0" section so that we can at
least have a preliminary consensus on what to do with "0" that I can post
to the BSC web page after the Annual meeting.

Speaking of which, I have not yet constructed the DCRB revision part of the
BSC page, but intend to work on that in the next day or two, and I will
post there a report of the progress we have made and any other documents we
have come up with. I will let you know when that is ready.

I could use a volunteer (unless someone was already assigned and I forgot
about it) to do the same thing with ISBD(A) that I am doing with AACR2,
that is, do a close comparison of the two and analyze the differences.
Would someone on the list like to do that?

Thanks,
Bob
Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Cataloger
6428 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801) 378-5568