GMGPC

Patrick Russell prussell at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 19 17:29:59 MST 1999

Helena;

Hi Helena:

Thanks for getting back to me on this matter of Volvelles.  The term is
still under discussion, and we may choose to have  Volvelles in fact added
to RBMS Genre terms in any case, as it already has a number of
"illustration" terms.  But I believe the general sense is that the term is
appropriate to both lists.  This will be looked at MidWinter in San
Antonio; no other deadline yet to my knowledge.

As another broader term, "Illustrations" would be better than "Book
illustrations" as volvelles can occur alone or with other things (e.g., a kit)

On a different matter: It has come to my attention that numerous LC records
are using field 655 for topical terms used generically from LCSH, coded as
follows:

655  7 Childen's fiction.$2lcsh
655  7 Political fiction.$2lcsh
[etc.]

This appears to have some relationship to the use of $v

650  0  Christian converts from Judaism $z Austria $v Fiction.
650  0  City and town life $z Austria $v Fiction.
651  0  Austria $x History $y 1867-1918 $v Fiction.
655  7  Jewish fiction. $2 lcsh
(98-18169//r98)

I can find nothing in Cat. Serv. or Subj. Heading Manual about this.  Can
you bring me up to date on this, or refer to the appropriate party?

Thanks,

Patrick