the @#$%^&*(*&^%$#@ contributor

Richard Noble Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Tue Feb 1 12:01:49 MST 2000

When all is said and done (a lot of doing and saying, or at least saying,
it seems) I'm perfectly happy with "contributor", plain and simple, and,
being of an abstract turn of mind and professionally obsessed with
relators, have no problem with conceptualizing the relationship beyond the
instance of some writer saying "Here--I want to contribute this".

Still, some perfectly intelligent folks have choked at that point; so I'd
still say that if we can clarify the scope note for their sake, adding
eight syllables ("or otherwise included in") before the term has even been
published, for heaven's sake, let's do it.

I do like the idea of a relator term that begins "@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@"--can we
keep that? - TTFN Richard

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU