Transcribing dates in roman

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.NMSU.Edu
Fri Aug 17 15:49:31 MDT 2001

I think that Deborah's proposal makes a lot of sense.  I have always felt
that it was strange to be so careful about transcribing information in 260
subfields a and b, while changing the Roman numerals to Arabic numerals
with no indication that this has been done.  In addition to Deborah's
point about distinguishing settings of type, we already use Roman numerals
when recording incorrect imprints.  A few weeks ago, I suggested on
another list that one would record An IX as An 9.  In AACR2 one would do
that, but not, I discovered, with DCRB.  The example in DCRB, 4D2, second
paragraph An VII, 1798, could conceivably transcribe An VII, MDCCXCVIII.
In that case we would have changed one date to Arabic, but not the other!

The one problem I find with Deborah's proposal is that transcription of
Roman dates does have fine.  For example, one finds CI[Backward C]
representing M and there is the question of upper vs. lower case and large
vs. small caps.  So I think we would want to cover this sort of issue
somewhere (Maybe 0H?).

	Larry

Laurence S. Creider
Head, General Cataloging Unit