DCRM(S) Area 3

Jane Gillis jane.gillis at yale.edu
Mon Apr 15 09:07:26 MDT 2002

To the DCRB Revision List.

For the next week we will be discussing Area 3, Numbering Area.  For those
of you who catalog only monographs, this is something new.  For those of
you who catalog serials, the rules vary from AACR2, mainly calling for
transcription, even though we do call for formatting the
information.    This has been mentioned as an inconsistency--if on the
piece is No. 3 Saturday the 18th of June 1776 Volume IV, and we transpose
this information to Volume IV, no. 3 (Saturday the 18th of June 1776).  We
do have the option of transcribing exactly what is written, but the rule
says that the information should be formatted: Numeration (chronological
information).

What are your thoughts on this?  We would like to follow AACR2 in the
formatting but not in how the information is stated.

Jane and Juliet

Juliet McLaren
Project Head, Early Serials
English Short-Title Catalogue
Center for Bibliographical Studies and Research
University of California - Riverside
e-mail: juliet at citrus.ucr.edu FAX: (909) 787-4120 Tel: (909) 787-5841

Jane Gillis | Rare Book Cataloger|  Sterling Memorial Library
Yale University | New Haven CT  06520
(203)432-8383 (voice) | (203)432-7231 (fax) | jane.gillis at yale.edu