[DCRB-L] Gen'l Principles: a few comments

Jain Fletcher jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 6 12:49:07 MST 2002

Hi, everyone,
     I could not be more pleased with the way Joe Springer has
presented the General Principles (GPs).  Joe's presentation is full of
significance, with every phrase carrying deep import--yet is concise
and very readable, for all that.  Along with Larry Creider (and for the
reasons he gave), I really agree with the idea of aligning DCRM
principles with those of FRBR.  I would also like to say how pleased I
am to have such a compelling reason (as one of our pre-Conference
"assignments") to give FRBR a closer reading.  (I have also put a hold
on our library's copy of Svenonius' book, and look forward to reading
that, as well.)  So, thank you, Joe, for giving us a completely
appropriate and thoroughly engaging foundation to carry our rules.

     Moreover, I have enjoyed the subsequent comments, first from John
Attig, then Joe's response to John and finally Larry's.  Aside from
some of their observations, it seems to me that just a little more
honing may be needed.  So, I am looking forward to seeing further
commentary to that effect over this List, at ALA and at the Conference
itself.

     I do have a few comments of a honing nature.  The first relates to
the fact that I had understood that these GPs would stand for all the
materials covered in DCRM (books, music, maps, serials, mss).  While
most of Joe's draft seems to indicate this broader coverage, the very
first page contains some more limiting statements which I would like to
request be made more broad.  Here they are, both from the first
paragraph:  "As we approach the revisions that will go into
_Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Books)_...", and later in
the same paragraph, "Recent theoretical work helps us recognize that
rare book cataloging rules can ...".  My suggestion is that, for the
first instance, simply omit the qualifier "(Books)".  The sentence
would work without it just as well (and if there's any concern about
the fact that only one format is being "revised" while the others are
being newly created, you could still think of the revision of DCRB as
including both those elements, revision and new).  My suggestion for
the second instance is to substitute the word "materials" for "books".
The rest of the paper seems to use "materials" (or like words) fairly
consistently, so it would be nice to see that consistent throughout the
paper.  In fact, as I think about it, it might even be nice to point
out that the new revision will now include these new formats.  This
paragraph might just be the one in which to do that.

     At the top of the 2nd page, in the 3rd paragraph ("Although the
entities of all three groups..."), I think that the point would be
strengthened by stating that the examples given there to demonstrate
FRBR terminology were taken from "early material". (It's hard to decide
what to call it--sometimes I call it "historical", in the sense that
'the more history accrues with any bibliographic entity, the more
challenges it may present'.  If you think about it, the "historical
clock" starts ticking almost immediately, so this can even be true of
works that have come out in the current decade).

     I am grateful that John brought out the complicating issues
surrounding the alignment of cataloging terminology.  I think it helps
us remember that we will have to be cognizant of these issues as we try
to align DCRM(B) with AACR2 (where in turn, DCRM(M) is trying to align
with DCRM(B) along with relevant parts of AACR2 Ch. 5, etc.).

     I am even more grateful that Larry spoke so assertively about the
point in the GP draft trying to align rule numbering.  Although it is
an honorable goal, I find I also "flat out disagree" with this idea for
practical reasons.  First of all, even in DCRB, extra numbered parts
and sections were often needed to address issues specific to rare
books.  We will probably continue to need this flexibility and should
not paint ourselves into a corner by trying to align with a set of
rules that does not completely address our material.  Which leads to
the other point: we are now aligning more than one format.  Speaking
for music alone, that format also needs some flexibility to incorporate
specific rules that do not relate to books.  (In AACR2, as a
single-volume work, it was easy to align from chapter to chapter, but
now, with these being intended as stand-alone [whether electronic or
print], we will have to act accordingly.)

     As you see, these are really minor points I am offering and the
rest of the draft reads wonderfully.  Beyond the paper itself, I would
like to suggest that we add a re-reading of Tanselle's "Descriptive
Bibliography and Library Cataloging" to our assignment list.  I wrote a
paper on it in Library School [for Dr. Svenonius], but Joe's draft
reminds me that I could do with a refresher.
		Thanks again!		Jain

Jain Fletcher
Head, Technical Services Division
Dept. of Special Collections