[DCRB-L] Prop. 4, Collection-level: Background reading

Jain Fletcher jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Tue Dec 10 10:23:24 MST 2002

Hi, everyone,
   To help aid familiarity with the topic of my proposal paper (coming
out within a week or so), I have two titles that I would suggest for
added comprehension of the topic:
	1)  SAA's _Archives, Personal Papers, and Manuscripts_ (APPM)
	Yes, this is still a 1989 copyright and yes, it is much in need
of updating.  Still, it's the basic principles which count for our
purposes. No need to read much more than Part I (Description - p. 3-31)
and *possibly* the Intro to Part II.  (If you don't have a print copy
easily available, don't forget, it is on the Cataloger's DeskTop.)
	2)  Nichols, Margaret. "Finding the Forest Among the Trees: The
Potential of Collection-Level Cataloging", _Cataloging and
Classification Quarterly_ (v. 23, no. 1 1996).
	This article shows ways that APPM can be put to good use in
dealing with collections of printed material.
				Thanks, Jain

Jain Fletcher
Head, Technical Services Division
Dept. of Special Collections