[DCRB-L] Prop. 4, Coll-level: More background reading

Jain Fletcher jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Tue Dec 10 12:12:11 MST 2002

Hello, all,
   Elizabeth Johnson reminded me that I forgot to mention the
"... explanation of LC Collection -level practice in the Cataloging
Service Bulletin that was elaborated upon at a preconference once to a
room full of Rare Book Catalogers.  There are most likely those of us
out here who have been using them as patterns for years."
   Good point--and Elizabeth's message contained new information to me:
this set of guidelines (CSB, no. 78, Fall 1997; a revision of CSB, no.
53, Summer 1991) had benefitted from input by RB catalogers.  The main
question raised with this is do we want our Appendix to be a set of
guidelines along these lines but adapted for rare materials, or more of
a statement...? Be thinking (a little) about it.
   Also, Deborah reminded me that I should mention that these reading
materials are "required" by the participants in this working group and
"recommended" for all others. And as things stand now, the participants
are:

Working Group 4:  Collection-Level

Primary	--
Jain Fletcher
Jane Gillis
Barbara	Jones
Bruce Tabb
Suzy Taraba

Secondary --
Jackie Dooley
Sarah Fisher
Beth Russell
Eileen Smith

		Thanks for all the good comments already!  --Jain

Jain Fletcher
Head, Technical Services Division
Dept. of Special Collections
A1713 YRL