[DCRB-L] General principles: numbering

Joe Springer joeas at goshen.edu
Thu Dec 12 06:24:34 MST 2002

Re: Numbering
As the comment in the draft states: "Follow the numbering of AACR2 wherever
possible, especially in cases where AACR2 itself uses identical numbers to
cover comparable concepts in different chapters."
I certainly was thinking of harmonization where harmonization is possible,
not absolute conformity at the final level of specific rule number.  I have
assumed those voices speaking against this were thinking of absolute
conformity, which I agree is not realistic or desirable.  Have I read too
little into those comments?

If we changed the comment from "wherever possible" to "wherever meaningful"
would we understand ourselves to be on common ground?  (Or would judging
what parts of AACR2 numbering have "meaning" be too complicated?!)  Is
there a problem with the phrasing of the principle itself: "DCRM should
conform to the structure and language of the latest revision of AACR2 to
the extent possible..."?   As with any application of Svenonius's
principles, part of the task of the group will be to interpret the limits
of the "possible extent."  Although ISBD numbering is perhaps done in more
detailed fashion, I think the part of AACR2 numbering I was thinking of as
useful is not a completely different animal.
Joe Springer

> From Deborah:
>I am not sure what Joe has in mind, but discussion and agreement before
>now on numbering consistency between DCRM(B) and AACR2 amounted to
>harmonizing the broad numbering within sections. This is of particular
>interest to Jane Gillis & Juliet McLaren writing the rare serials rules,
>as I remember.
>
>If it really is such a moving target as John Attig suggests, an
>alternative is to completely discard the current numeric/alphabetical
>numbering scheme of AACR, and apply a different scheme altogether, say, a
>legal-style numbering. ISBD(A) does this. Single consecutive numbers
>denote areas (2=edition area), one decimal point refers to the element
>(2.3=statements of responsibility relating to the edition), with
>subsequent rules numbered by added decimal points, down to the paragraph
>level. In fact, one of my goals was to number the paragraphs within the
>rules in the revision. (Anyone trying to refer to any part of DCRB 4.D2
>will know precisely why this is important).
>
>Perhaps we can consist with the area and element numbering of AACR2 & ISBD
>(assuming they agree with each other, which I haven't checked), and
>sub-number our rules and paragraphs as needed. And if so, the General
>Principles can either be modified, or it can be understood that that is
>how we mean what is said there.
>
>________________________
>Deborah J. Leslie
>Head of Cataloging