[DCRB-L] Names of publishers

John Attig jca at psulias.psu.edu
Wed Nov 6 13:35:40 MST 2002

I have a question that has come up about the rules for rare books at the
end of Chapter 2 of AACR2.

In the 2002 revision of AACR2, rule 1.4D4 -- which authorized abbreviation
of the name of a publisher, etc. -- was deleted.

It has been brought to my attention that several of the examples in AACR
rules 2.16D and E use what might be abbreviations for people's names:

London : R. Barker

London : Printed for the author and sold by J. Roberts

Birmingham : Printed by John Baskerville for R. and J. Dodsley ...

London : Printed for the author and sold by J. Parsons [etc.]

In some cases, I'm reasonably certain that the abbreviation is transcribed
accurately from the title page.  However, I'm not sure that this is always
the case, or whether 2.16D and E are showing conventional cataloger
practice to abbreviate forenames.

First question, do any of these examples in AACR2 need to be revised in the
light of the deletion of 1.4D4?  Is it sufficient to agree that the
forename initials have been transcribed?  Or should there be more examples
with full forenames to make it more clear that full transcription is required?

Second -- since this is the DCRB revision list -- are the DCRM rules (all
formats, I suppose) consistent with the basic AACR rules on transcribing
publisher information?; are the DCRM rules clear on what can be omitted or
abbreviated and whether/how such omissions or abbreviations should
indicated in the description?

	John Attig