[DCRB-L] Names of publishers

John Attig jca at psulias.psu.edu
Thu Nov 7 11:00:03 MST 2002

Thank you for the usual definitive reply.  I suspected that this was true.

My only remaining question is whether it would be beneficial to change some
of the examples to ones with full forenames so that there is not a
misleading impression that one can abbreviate?  I don't feel strongly about
this, but would be willing to make such a proposal.

I could also comment on the status of the rare book rules in Chapter 2.  I
agree that it is not necessary that these conform to DCRM(B).  It would be
nice, however, if there were no major contradictions.  It might be worth
comparing the two at some point to see what differences exist and (if
appropriate) suggest changes to AACR chapter 2.

An alternative also suggests itself:  the Joint Steering Committee is
showing itself more open to letting standards external to AACR take care of
certain areas.  When the special rules in Chapter 2 were written, there was
no such external standard for rare books (and such materials had been
covered in previous rules).  DCRB/DCRM has become a mature standard, widely
accepted within the Anglo-American cataloguing community; JSC might be
interested in replacing rules 2.12-18 with a reference to DCRM.  In either
case, this is a task to take up after the revision of DCRB is finished.

         John Attig