[DCRB-L] General principles

Laurence Creider lcreider at lib.NMSU.Edu
Wed Nov 13 14:41:35 MST 2002

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Deborah J. Leslie wrote:

> The purpose and scope of the general principles document will be to
> take the principles of cataloging and expound them explicitly in
> regard to rare materials. The FRBR should prove an excellent anchor
> for this activity. The particular points Brian mentions below will not
> be delineated in the principles document but will be in the bailiwick
> of group 5, "specific problems and lacunae." The specific problems in
> t.p. transcription that Brian mentions will most definitely be on the
> list of problems to be discussed. I am largely in agreement with
> Brian, and look forward to further discussion about the application of
> FRBR to DCRM transcription.
>
> The first draft of the principles will be distributed shortly to
> conferees, and then after the author has time to make revisions based
> on their comments, to the general members of this list in
> mid-December. May I reiterate my advice to read FRBR, the IFLA
> document on Functional Requirements of Bibliographic Records and think
> about how rare book cataloging are or can be based upon these
> requirements? I recommend printing out and reading the Adobe Acrobat
> version at http://www.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr.pdf. Or if you like
> reading long documents in HTML, at
> http://www.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr.htm

If you can get hold of the hard bound copy, that would be even better.
Nicer to handle and easier to navigate. Penn had a copy, and since the
title is published in an IFLA series, I assume other research libraries
would as well.  It was published by Saur at the exorbitant price of DM
128.  Amazon.com lists it for $85.  The rest of us will have to settle for
printouts.
	Larry

Laurence S. Creider
Head, General Cataloging Unit