[DCRB-L] DCRM Area 7

Thu Aug 21 20:58:51 MDT 2003

Thanks, Beth, for these comments. I want to reassure everyone that it is most certainly not too late to make comments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Beth M. Russell [mailto:russell.363 at osu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 4:40 PM
To: dcrb-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: Re: [DCRB-L] DCRM Area 7

I hope it isn't too late to make a comment or two.

In 7C18, I wonder about the use of the two categories: "less detailed," and
"more detailed."

Would it negate the purpose of using DCRM altogether to preface these
statements with "if desired?" I'm thinking of the "late 17th century red
goatskin" example. To my knowledge, I've never seen a 17th century red
goatskin binding, and I don't know if I would recognize one. Might there
not be situations where it's better to include even less information,
rather than to make a wild guess, in order to bring the record up to "less
detailed" status? These are good broad categories, but I think there's room
for judgment.

I also agree with Brian Hillyard (I believe) who asked about the use of
"References" as a label to preface a reference note (7C14.) Of course now
that I think about it, the same could go for "Contents" (7C16.)  It's
difficult to think about these labels outside the context of our systems,
I'm afraid. I've never entered either label in a record, since they are
created for me by OCLC through use of the appropriate field. But, of
course, they exist in the record as finished product, so maybe I'm picking
at nits.

Beth

At 02:53 PM 7/25/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>
>The alpha version of DCRM(B) area 7 is now posted on the DCRM revision
>site. The primary changes are those to give more examples of machine-press
>books, and a substantial rewriting of 7C18, copy-specific notes, based on
>the work of Brian Hillyard and David Pearson in the [British] Rare Books
>Group _Guidelines for the Cataloguing of Rare Books._  It gives more
>guidance on varying levels of details on provenance and binding descriptions.
>
>Please make your comments (except for typos) to the list. Thanks.
>
>Deborah
>
>http://www.folger.edu/bsc/dcrb/DCRMarea7alpha1.doc
>
>___________________________
>Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.