[DCRB-L] WG4, Pt. I - whys and wherefores

Richard Noble Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Mon Feb 17 11:19:16 MST 2003

I must heartily concur with Brian Hillyard on this one. At Brown we're
actually in the process of creating collection-level records for all of our
named book collections, very much including those cataloged or to be
cataloged at the item level. For detailed guidelines see

http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/University_Library/Catalog/setrecords.html

The handful of collections already thus described are retrieved via

http://library.brown.edu/search~S6/l?SEARCH=coll

(or select search "Other Brown Call Numbers" at
http://library.brown.edu/screens/searchmenu.html and enter "coll")

At 2/17/03    06:32 AM, Brian Hillyard commented:
>"...In these cases, the collection level record will be deleted when the
>individual parts have
>been completed."
>
>COMMENT   Provided that when individual parts have been completed the
>collection-level record states that each piece is also separately
>catalogued, I can't easily imagine a reason for wanting to delete a
>collection-level record.  Sometimes there may be a reason, but it would be
>uncomfortable if DCRM laid itself open to a charge of treating as normal
>the removal of records that could be interpreted as enhancing access.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU