[DCRB-L] WG3: Machine press

Stephen Skuce skuce at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 19 17:59:06 MST 2003

Let me begin by apologizing for taking so long to comment on what we all
agree is a superb document by Manon.  Despite my gray hairs, I am still
relatively new to this, and I admit I felt hesitant to comment at all, at
least until all the heavy hitters had had time to weigh in.  Then too,
Manon's draft is so strong that even through several readings, it seemed as
if nearly all that was left to do was the hashing out, in a live
give-and-take conference setting, of the questions and issues she
identified so insightfully.

That said, Manon's plea for public comment from attendees has come through
loud and clear.  I only hope that most of what follows isn't so painfully
obvious to everyone that CPUs are sent crashing to the floor in offices
everywhere.

0D. Prescribed sources of information

Recommendation:

Insert text in the penultimate paragraph:
In all cases in which data for the first three areas, or the series area,
are taken from elsewhere than the title page, make a note to indicate the
source of the data.
------> This is very tricky, as others have pointed out.  But for a couple
of reasons, I'd prefer not to deviate from AACR2 on this one.
         Unfortunately this issue, like many others the machine-press group
must confront,  is balled up with the entire question of the intrinsic
differences (if any) between hand press and machine press books themselves,
and whether certain important characteristics of HP books, which so
fundamentally informed the creation of DCRB, are shared absolutely by MP
books.  It is worth restating in this regard that DCRB says, in essence,
nothing at all about series, precisely because of its explicit, and in this
instance exclusive, concern with "early printed monographs" (DCRB, p. 53,
"6. Series area.")
         If monographic series are indeed more characteristic of books from
19c on (and my experience with 17-19c sci-tech collections tells me they
definitely are), then there may be a few reasons to treat this very
specific aspect of MP books as the DCRM "exception" it is.  Why try to
shoehorn an almost exclusively post-1800 characteristic into a pre-1800
schema?  We have obvious reasons to rely on the authority of the title page
for most areas of the description.  But it seems to me that the emergence
of the monographic series was accompanied, if not announced, by the
emergence of the series title page.  There were few-to-no series title
pages in the HP period, not because the practice was to publish series
without series title pages, but because the practice was not to publish
series at all.  Although series could in theory have become ubiquitous
before the MP period, the fact is that they did not.  But this isn't even
about what type of press they were printed on: it's about content, and the
presentation of information relating to that content.
         So do we want to insist that publications that characteristically
identify themselves in a very particular way -- via a series title page --
must be described according to rules that ignore that characteristic?  What
we are aiming for, of course, throughout DCRM is consistency.  But as
strange as it may seem to us to read "Series statement from title page," I
think it is less strange than "Series statement from series title
page."  And presumably, if we used the series t.p. as our prescribed
source, we'd end up making fewer notes altogether, if series title pages
are as common as I think they are.
         I wouldn't worry too much about user confusion: users of a typical
university catalog may note that DCRM records are different in some ways
from other records, but they are consistently so.  Notes about sources of
information, for example, are common.  For users of special, more
DCRM-intensive catalogs, well, presumably they see relatively few records
for MP materials as it is, and the introduction of records with a
consistent quirk -- occasionally citing the t.p. as series source --
shouldn't jar too much.  We may need to educate such (already engaged)
users, who are apparently paying very close attention to our records, but
that seems do-able; and there are some changes coming to their catalogs in
any case, whether they like it or not, elsewhere in these rules.
         An important thing to remember in this instance is that we are not
talking about changing an existing rule:  DCRB has failed to provide rules
for series heretofore.  What we are doing is introducing a new set of rules
into DCRM, and I think there are strong arguments for taking the
opportunity to bring this area of the description into alignment with most
of the materials it will be used to describe.
4. Publication, Etc., Area

------> There's lots here to chew on, and again, some in-person tussles
will be best for resolving the questions Manon identifies.  I do agree with
Richard Noble's comments on 260 subfields e, f, and g, and on prominence
(typography, position, etc.) guiding us in their use.  We will likely end
up with a more complicated document, but it seems necessary and worth
it.  A c17 text with a printer and 6 booksellers listed on its title page
seems to me to be saying something very different from a c19 text with a
large commercial publisher named on the t.p., and a stereotyper noted in
miniscule type on the t.p. verso.
         In any case, DCRB is currently pretty bipolar on this: When "4E.
Date of impression" appears at the end of the chapter, it seems to come out
of left field.
------> Thank you Manon for 4A2 and especially 4A3, and I second the
suggestion that the name of 4A3 be changed to "Form and order of elements."
------> 4D2 footnote:  As it stands, DCRB instructs the cataloger to
consider dates in their relation to the enactment of uniform copyright
legislation worldwide, and then drops the subject.  While the cataloging
rules cannot be all things to all people, additional information on such
dates, and the rationale behind them, would indeed be welcome.

4E. Date of impression

         ... [Second] Recommendation:

Revise text in final sentence:
In the above cases, the source of the date of impression and any
explanations may should be given in the note area if useful.
------> I'd suggest an addition to Manon's changed text, as follows:
         In the above cases, the source of the date of impression (if other
than the title page), and any explanations, should be given in the note area.

6. Series area

Recommendation: ...

6.A2. Sources of information ...

[4th paragraph]:
Do not consider a cover to be a prescribed source unless it is forms part
of a publisher's binding or wrapper.
------> May I suggest a change to: Do not consider a cover to be a
prescribed source unless it is known to be part of a publisher's binding or
wrapper.

6F. Series numbering

------> Manon is right on the money regarding transcription of
numbering.  The question of ISSNs brings us back to questions about the
"source of information," to say nothing of transposition.  AACR2 is
obviously riddled with problems here.  I think we should seriously question
the way AACR2 packs area 6, and consider unpacking it.

Stephen