[DCRB-L] McKenzie article

Thu Feb 20 14:16:44 MST 2003

Thanks, Richard. I read the McKenzie article some time ago, and appreciate the nudge. Can you give any information about netLibrary? What is it and how does one gain access to it?

Deborah

______________________
Deborah J. Leslie
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20003
202.675-0369 (voice)
202.675-0328 (fax)
djleslie at folger.edu
www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Noble [mailto:Richard_Noble at brown.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 1:58 PM
To: dcrb-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRB-L] Fwd: books and non-books

On a lighter note, this, forwarded from sharp-l, which does rather sum up
what I take to be the point of view from which FRBR was devised (insert
amiably ironic emoticon here):

>Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:28:31 -0400
>From: Mary Lu MacDonald <jbmlmac at NS.SYMPATICO.CA>
>Subject: books and non-books
>To: SHARP-L at LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
>
>I've always liked the definition given by a computer person - "A book is
>the physical manifestation of a bibliographic entry."

More seriously, I've just re-read D.F. McKenzie's "Bibliography and the
Sociology of Texts" (British Library, 1986; Cambridge Univ. Pr., 1999; also
apparently available via netLibrary), and if I were in a position to do so,
I'd make it required reading for conference participants. It's not terribly
long but remarkably rich; and, in its third part especially, addresses the
principles underlying what we're trying to do with DCRM, and does so from
the correct perspective.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU