[DCRB-L] WG4 - Position paper

Jain Fletcher jfletchr at library.ucla.edu
Fri Feb 28 13:58:04 MST 2003

Hi, everyone,
   Deborah has kindly posted my WG4 draft on the Web for all to see
and comment.  I just wanted to make a few preliminary comments about it.
   This was a very challenging assignment, because the more I thought
about it, the more I felt that it should take the position that you
will see when you read it.  I think you'll agree with me that this
position represents somewhat of a "paradigm shift" in approaching these
kinds of entities.  That's why there is so much explanation as to the
parameters of the collections and in the rationale expressed.  So, I
was aware while I wrote that this position may be controversial.
Still, the more I thought about it, the more I continued to feel that
this was a worthwhile stance to take.
   This prompts me to request a few things as you read.  One, please
read it through first just to see if my position is clear.  (I've asked
a few people here to read it through and they said they got my points,
so I hope that's covered.)  Second, if you find yourself feeling
resistant, may I respectfully request that you try it out before giving
up on it?  By this I mean: describing a collection of your own with the
method given here. And by that I mean, one you own at home.  I think
this is best, because it's likely you will be knowledgable enough about
it to write the "scope and content" note and the "history/bibliography"
note from your own knowledge, without even having to resort to
reference books.  All you would have to do for this is make the
descriptive portion of the record, as described in this paper. (You
might also make a separate list of a few of the books in the
collection, using the "high-end" way I suggest, just to get a feel for
that.) Then take a look at the results. My feeling is that if you do
this, you may just see why I find this method gives nicely informative
(if not as detailed) results.

Finally, I realize already that there are places I would like to edit
more in it, parts that could be made tighter and areas to expand on
(for instance, the very last section).  But I decided to make it
available to you as soon as I had finished the main points I wanted to
make, rather than spending any more time on word-smithing.  So there
are inevitable mistakes (the "worst" being the fact that, in my
"Catalog version 2" record, I meant to put "$x History $v Sources"
after my geographic heading, but you'll see I truncated that; please
consider this to be an "errata" notice, which I've already fixed in my
own version).  I assume we'll be catching more of these as discussion of
the paper goes on, so the next version will be cleaner, I'm sure.

The Word version:
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/dcrb/wg4collnlvl.doc

The Web version:
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/dcrb/wg4collnlvl.html

   Despite the late arrival of this paper (for this I would like to
apologize profusely), I hope that people will still have time to read
it and be able to send their comments in before the Conference.
					Thanks, Jain

Jain Fletcher
Head, Technical Services Division
Dept. of Special Collections