[DCRB-L] General Principles draft, 20021116

Jane Gillis jane.gillis at yale.edu
Fri Jan 10 09:28:03 MST 2003

Joe's draft is excellent. From my understanding of FRBR (and I am learning
more about it all the time) I have a question on the sentence that appears
on p. 2:

Of these four entities, rules for describing rare materials necessarily
place particular emphasis on guidance for descriptions of manifestations
and for descriptions of items.

According to FRBR:

3.1.1. Group 1 Entities: .. "The entities defines as work ... and
expression ... reflect intellectual or artistic content.  The entities
defines as manifestation ... and item, ... on the other hand, reflect
physical form.

The only entities that anyone catalogs are manifestations and items.  You
can't catalog an expression or work since they are  not physical.  AACR2
gives us rules for cataloging manifestations.  Besides the item
itself,  whatever there is between manifestation and item (issue, state?)
is where rare materials catalogers need more guidance.

It is also possible that this is my misreading of FRBR.

Jane

Jane Gillis | Rare Book Cataloger|  Sterling Memorial Library
Yale University | New Haven CT  06520
(203)432-8383 (voice) | (203)432-7231 (fax) | jane.gillis at yale.edu