[DCRB-L] AACR revision proposal re: Coloured illustrations

John Attig jxa16 at psulias.psu.edu
Thu Jul 10 14:27:00 MDT 2003

At the CC:DA meeting at ALA Annual in Toronto, CC:DA approved the proposal
that I had drafted to delete the term "Coloured illustrations" from the
AACR Glossary.  The proposal has been forwarded to the Joint Steering
Committee for their consideration.

I understand that the Bibliographic Standards Committee discussed the
proposal and decided that specific instructions were needed for describing
rare materials.

I anticipated that the rough-and-ready first-impression approach that seems
to be appropriate in general cataloging might be inadequate for the
description of rare materials.  I would direct the group's attention to the
MARC 21 "color" element in field 007 for projected graphics, nonprojected
graphics, motion pictures and videorecordings.  Although not strictly
relevant to the description of illustrations in printed texts, some of the
concepts may be useful.

	John Attig
	MARBI liaison