[DCRB-L] WG1: General principles and objectives

Richard Noble Richard_Noble at Brown.edu
Thu Mar 20 06:53:38 MST 2003

Not bad at all, folks. The one suggestion I have, at first glance, would be
to incorporate note 2, at least in part, into the text from which it is
referenced.

Something like: "... The sets of rules included under the rubric of
Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (DCRM) seek to address situations
that catalogers face in their effort to create records that adequately meet
the specialized requirements of the users of rare materials--here
understood to encompass whatever library materials institutions or
individuals have chosen to distinguish from general library collections by
the way they house, preserve, or collect them."

The note then might read: "[Note 2] In the context of this document we use
the term "rare materials" in this generic sense.  Rarity in a literal sense
may or may not be a feature of these materials. Either the immediate
purpose of their inclusion or the eventual result of their retention in a
particular collection distinguishes the interest of the collecting agency
or individual from that which may have motivated a general library
collection to acquire the same materials."

Remember: Preambles are more frequently cited than footnotes.

It may be that the suggested emendation compromises the desirable brevity
of the opening statement, but the principle really is vital. The term
"rare" is both useful, in indicating that certain materials represent an
investment that must be properly leveraged, and an albatross around our
necks, in that it seems to privilege only a small class of artifacts (back
to the Treasure Room), where we are actually seeking to define an approach
to a much larger artifactual context.

I am especially happy to see the emphasis placed on the management function
of records. One could even somewhat sharpen the point that this descriptive
approach reinforces the management function that is acknowledged in the
provision of fields specifically directed towards it. Even administrators
who advocate the dumbing down of metadata, supposedly to suit the simple
needs of their users, might be at least a bit open to this line of reasoning.

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU