[DCRB-L] Latest available draft of the proposed revision of DCRB 0H

Fri May 23 09:41:26 MDT 2003

This is an ISBD(A) requirement. We (DCRM Working Group 2) know that it is controversial, but wanted to put it out for public comment.

The primary reason is that although in principle converting upper case based on usage may seem a simple proposition, it is in fact often not so for catalogers of rare materials. For example, the Right Honourable is to be capitalized, but what if the phrase is: "ryght honorable, and vertuous lady Katherine." Or even more ambiguous, "the honorable, vertuous, and pious lady Katherine."

This type of instance abounds, and to eliminate the instruction to convert into upper-case, it is hoped that unnecessary agonizing will be eliminated. We wanted to at least consider following ISBD(A) on this.

______________________
Deborah J. Leslie
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20003
202.675-0369 (voice)
202.675-0328 (fax)
djleslie at folger.edu
www.folger.edu

 -----Original Message-----
From: Stephen R. Young [mailto:stephen.young at yale.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 9:35 AM
To: dcrb-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRB-L] Latest available draft of the proposed revision of DCRB 0H

In Brian Hillyard's posting to exlibris yesterday of the latest available draft of the proposed revision of DCRB 0H, I notice a somewhat confusing departure from DCRB (italics are mine):

0H. Conversion of case

In general, capitalize according to the provisions of AACR2 Appendix A.
However, do not convert lowercase letters into uppercase.

Was it a conscious departure from DCRB not to convert lowercase letters into uppercase? What was the rationale for this change?

Stephen R. Young
Rare Book Team Leader
Catalog Dept., Sterling Memorial Library
Box 208240
New Haven, CT 06520-8240

Tel.: 203-432-8385
Fax: 203-432-7231