[DCRB-L] Latest available draft of the proposed revision of DCRB 0H

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri May 23 15:27:11 MDT 2003

I'd just like to point out that "eliminating unnecessary agonizing"
isn't one of the basic principles underlying our rules and isn't really
a very good reason for departing from the AACR2 rule.

Perhaps there are some rare book principles that make this change from
the DCRB rule necessary? Although if there are particular principled
reasons why we shouldn't ever convert lower to upper case, I should
think the same principled reasons would apply to converting from upper
to lower case.

To paraphrase Lubetzky, "Is this difference in rules necessary?"

I understand that this rule comes from ISBD(A) but in my opinion in the
absence of principles that require rare materials to be treated
differently from other materials AACR2 trumps ISBD(A).

Group 2, on this point, already had to grapple with converting lower
case to upper case when the word begins an area or certain elements
(first word in the title, first word of alternative title, etc.), coming
down on the side of converting in those cases (did we not?). If so, for
me, this weakens the argument that we mustn't convert lower to upper in
other places.

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602