[DCRM-L] Change in list address

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Apr 6 17:43:00 MDT 2004

Dear DCRB-Lers,

Over the last couple of months DCRB-L has been innundated with spam--I
don't know how the spammers got the address but the list is getting up
to 25 spam messages per day, all of which I have to delete so they don't
go on to you all. Since I'm getting a little sick of this, we've decided
to change the list name and address in the hopes that the spam will go
away, at least temporarily. So here's the scoop:

1) The new list is called DCRM-L.

2) We have transferred everyone's address and other information to the
new list, so you don't need to do anything.

3) I am sending this message to both lists, so you should receive TWO
identical messages, one from DCRB-L and one from DCRM-L. If you do not
get two messages, wait a day in case something went wrong with the whole
list that we need to fix, in which case I'll send out another message.
But if that doesn't happen, please let me know.

4) Henceforth messages should be sent to the new list. The address is
dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu. The old address will be deactivated after we make
sure the new one is working.

5) The archives have been transferred, so there should be no disruption.
The new address of the archives is:
<http://mailman.lib.byu.edu/pipermail/dcrm-l/>
http://mailman.lib.byu.edu/pipermail/dcrm-l/ , though if you use the old
address you will be forwarded to the new one.

6) If any of you have the e-mail address of dcrb-l on a web page, please
remove it! And if you're thinking of replacing it with the address of
dcrm-l, please don't do it! I gather one of the ways spammers get
addresses is by trawling web pages for e-mail addresses. (Though perhaps
the archives, which do exist on the web, is where the spammers get the
address ... who knows?)

Thanks,
Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602