[DCRB-L] DCRM(B) beta draft

David Woodruff DWoodruff at getty.edu
Wed Jan 14 13:45:30 MST 2004

A few notes, which Deborah Leslie suggested should go to the list as a
whole.

p. 3, l. 7: "specificity" for "granularity"
*-
0B2. Do we need a "perfect copy," which could be hard to find, or
simply one "without the imperfection(s)" present in the copy being
cataloged, as DCRB has it.
*-
0C1, l. 2: strike final "from"
*-
0C1, l. 5-6: "chief source" for "title page"
*-
0C3, l. 6: strike "title page"
*-
0C3, l. 10: "listed in order of preference" for "according to the order
given"
*-
0C3, l. 13: doesn't "a source anywhere" simply mean "a reference
source"
*-
0F, l. 10: "area" for "context"
*-
p. 9, 2nd sentence: does this mean "Close up parts of words divided
between lines without a hyphen" or "Separate with a space parts of words
divided between lines without a hyphen"?
*-
0H, l. 16: "converted graphical transcription" isn't clear in itself,
though it becomes so with the parenthentical explanation. Perhaps:
"...provide alternative title access for the title proper by lowercasing
the letter forms directly, regardless of position or function (i.e.,
converting U to u, V to v, I to i and J to j)."
*-
0H, l. 17. Start a new sentence for the 2nd alternative title entry:
"Provide alternative title access as well for the title proper,
normalized to modern usage as set out in LCRI 1.0E..."  There may be a
problem with relying on this LCRI, in that it says to give v & u their
proper consonantal or vocalic values but to transcribe i & j as they
appear; i & j are given their proper consonantal or vocalic values only
in headings, citations from reference sources, etc. Thus "ius" would not
become "jus." Would LCRI 25.1 be a better reference here? It calls for
the proper vocalic or consonantal value of i, j, u, v, uu, and vv, which
as I understand it is what we want in this uniform-title-like
alternative title.
*-
p. 12, 1st paragraph: there is no advice to make a title added entry
with a word-final I changed to ii. Is such an entry not considered
useful, or is it simply left to cataloger's judgment?
*-
p. 12, 2nd paragraph:  doesn't this rule apply only to uppercase Gothic
I/J and U/V that are going to remain uppercase in the transcription? If
so, the phrase "in uppercase or lowercase" should be omitted. And if the
text distinguishes between capital I/J & U/V, wouldn't we simply
transcribe these capital letters as printed, rather than "according to
the pattern of the text"?
*-
0J1. Rule 2B1 no longer permits abbreviations.
*-
0J2. "special marks of contraction": keep the explanatory phrase in
DCRB explaining what special marks are meant: "retained from the
manuscript tradition."
*-
p. 13, 3rd l. from bottom: "them" for "each from the other"
1B3, 2nd l.: space after the colon, and lowercase the following T
*-
p. 16, example just before 1B4: Commissioners, but commisioners (with
one "s")
*-
1B5, 2nd l.: "reasonably" for "relatively"
*-
1E2, example: are "dilatino" in the 2nd l. and "lamorte" in the 3rd
correctly cited without internal spaces (di latino, la morte)?
*-
1F2, list of things to be omitted:  "printer's device" for "device."
After a moment's thought I understood what sort of device is meant, but
there are other devices that are important in rare books (emblematic
devices, heraldic devices), and I think the full form would be better
usage here and throughout.
*-
4A3, 2nd l. from end: omit "prefer to." Also, it's not clear what we
should "rely on insertions in square brackets" to do. Perhaps something
like: "Supply the missing elements in their proper places as necessary,
in square brackets; see 4B8, 4C3." Or simply postpone this issue until
4B8 and 4C3, as is done in DCRB.
*-
p. 36: "gives prominence to" for "privileges" in the first lines of the
first two paragraphs.
*-
7A3, 2nd paragraph: "corresponds" to the title isn't quite right.
"Relates"?
*-
7C, last line: "the order it is listed here" for "its listing here"
*-
p. 74, 1st paragraph, 2nd example: "and" is superscripted
*-
p. 83: "criteria for cataloging two variants of a work separately" for
"criteria for creating a new record"
*-
p. 85, 0H, l. 3: ...when the modern version would differ from the title
as transcribed "or from the uniform title, if any." Does "modern" work
for Latin and other dead languages? Perhaps (following LCRI 25.1): In
cases where I/J and U/V have been transcribed in accordance with
pre-modern conventions, make an added entry in which they reflect their
proper consonantal or vocalic value...
*-
p. 85, 0H, l. 5: ...but giving only initial letters in upper case, "as
required by the rules for the language of the title."
*-
p. 86, 0K: since rule 0K on p. 13 says to transcribe initials,
initialisms and acronyms without internal spaces, isn't it enough here
to write "Make an added entry for a title proper containing initials,
initialisms and acronyms with internal spaces..."?
*-
p. 87, Conclusion, 1st sentence: DCRM(B) for DCRB. Also, "represents"
and "suggest" are not quite the right words. Perhaps: Although the list
above brings together those rules in DCRM(B) that address situations in
which it is generally useful to make a title added entry...
*-
p. 90, Hyphens and dashes. Should the 1st sentence read "Transcribe
hyphen, dashes or underlines..." to cover the first example?
*-
p. 91: Apostrophic date forms. Neither Webster's Third nor the OED give
"of or pertaining to the apostrophus" as a meaning of "apostrophic." And
since Roman numerals other than dates contain this symbol, the title
might read: Roman numerals containing the symbol [reversed C].
*-
p. 92: add the ligature tz, where the z looks like a 3. Transcribed ts
(as the ligature sz is transcribed ss).
*-
p. 100: skip a line between entries for State and Title page
*-
p. 100: "Title page. The leaf on which the chief title appears." Since
pages and leaves are different, could we write "Title page. The page on
which..."?