[DCRB-L] FW: Single sheet publication - consultation

Richard Noble Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Sat Jan 17 11:22:45 MST 2004

While I can't say that I "know" what "composite" was intended to mean, I
can only infer (as I believe most people would) that it refers to two or
more pieces of paper or other material (e.g. silk) pasted or otherwise
joined together to form a single larger sheet or printing surface. I'd be
surprised if it wasn't supposed to mean that.

At 1/17/04 11:06 AM -0500, you wrote:
>On the latter, a proposed glossary definition for single-sheet
>publications is: [3] Single-sheet publication: A publication printed on a
>single or composite piece of paper or other material; it may be printed on
>one or both sides and may be bound or unbound. The content of a
>single-sheet publication, as here defined, is predominantly textual in
>nature, though it may contain illustrations that are subordinate or
>coordinate to the text
>
>Mr Matusik asked (original query appended) what the word "composite" means
>in this context. Does anyone know?

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOK CATALOGUER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 : RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU