[DCRB-L] Main entry for collectors

Beth Russell russell.363 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 22 13:58:12 MST 2004

Robert & everyone,

I just spent a few fruitless moments with AACR2 looking for guidance in
this matter. The only helpful rule I can find is 21.1A1, which states that
"a personal author is the person chiefly responsible for the creation of
the intellectual or artistic content of a work." 21.1A2 then directs us to
"enter a work by one or more persons under the heading for the personal
author (see 21.4A) the principle personal author (see 21.6B) or the
probable personal author (see 21.5B.)"

I may very well be overlooking specific rules in AACR2 which prohibit
catalogers from concluding that a collector, in a given context, is a
personal author, chiefly responsible for the content of a work. If there
are no such rules, and if "our" shared understanding of personal authorship
equates compilation of a collection with creator-ship, I would think AACR2
is broad enough to allow it.

I now await the replies of those who "speak AACR" better than I!

Beth

russell.363 at osu.edu