[DCRB-L] Main entry for collectors

Jane Gillis jane.gillis at yale.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:39:56 MST 2004

I think we are on solid enough ground in assigning the main entry to a
collector of a group of items that are cataloged on a collective
record.  We are following AACR2 when possible, but, AACR2 does *not*
address collection level cataloging at all.  LC does have guidelines (in
the cataloging Service bulletin, no. 78 (Fall 1997)).  To quote from it:

"Collections can be so diverse that title main entry is often appropriate
... 1XX main entries do, however, occur ... In addition, "Archives,
Personal Papers, and Manuscripts" permits personal or corporate name main
entry for materials cataloged archivally under the following circumstances:

2. when the collection is known under the name of the person who made the
collection, main entry is under the name of that person, followed by the
relator, 'collector'."

Among the examples are:

110 2  Bollingen Foundation
245 00 $k Records, $f 1939-1973.
      (Rules used: APPM)

100 1  Purland, Theodocius, $ecollector.
245 00 $a Collection of materials on mesmerism, $f 1842-1854.
      (Rules used: APPM)

I would say that we are following LC in an area that AACR2 has not addressed.

Jane

Jane Gillis | Rare Book Cataloger|  Sterling Memorial Library
Yale University | New Haven CT  06520
(203)432-2633 (voice) | (203)432-4047 (fax) | jane.gillis at yale.edu