[DCRB-L] Collector main entry

Jane Gillis jane.gillis at yale.edu
Mon Jan 26 10:23:14 MST 2004

Looking at the iterations of "Collection-Level Cataloging Guidelines" that
followed the March 2003 conference, I find that all of them include
instructions for entering the collection under the name of the
collector.  What is the "original proposal"?

I think we are trying to be too logical in our consideration of
collection-level records.  If you leaning towards treating a collection of
printed items like a monograph series, look at the definition of "series"
in AACR2:

"Series
1. A group of separate items related to one another by the fact that each
item bears, in addition to its own title proper, a collective title
applying to the group as a whole. The individual items may or may not be
numbered.  2. Each of two or more volumes of essays, lectures, articles, or
other writings, similar in character and issued in sequence (e.g., Lowell's
Among my books, second series).  3. A separately numbered sequence of
volumes within a series or serial (e.g., Notes and queries, 1st series, 2nd
series, etc.)."

Collections of printed items do have some things in common with
series,  but not much.  One could make a case that  many collections have
much more in common with archives than with series.  There are rules for
cataloging individual printed items and rules for cataloging
archives.  Neither of these sets of rules are adequate for cataloging
collections of printed items.   These collections are neither fish nor
fowl.  They should be viewed as a third category, one that needs a new set
of guidelines/rules, taking a little from AACR2, a little from APPM, and a
little (a lot?) from LC.

In the current introduction, we say the guidelines are based on the LC
guidelines in the Cataloging Service Bulletin, no. 78, which instructs us
to enter under the name of a collector in certain circumstances.  So far, I
have not heard anything that would make me want to disregard/contradict LC.

Jane