[DCRM-L] FW: OCLC "Error Correction" problem?

Thu Oct 28 14:25:59 MDT 2004

Dear Colleagues,

The frightening issue came up in Orlando of OCLC's automatic
abbreviating of field 250, even for records coded dcrb. Appended is the
reply from OCLC on that issue, and on faulty OCLC merging.

_________________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library
djleslie at folger.edu
http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Beth Russell [mailto:russell.363 at osu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 9:30 AM
To: Deborah J. Leslie
Subject: Fwd: RE: OCLC "Error Correction" problem?

Deborah,

FYI. Don't know if you're still interested in OCLC challenges, but these
microform sets for early printed books will continue to be a problem for
OCLC users, I suspect.

Beth

Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:02:31 -0400
From: "Bremer,Robert" <bremerr at oclc.org>
Subject: RE: OCLC "Error Correction" problem?
To: 'Beth Russell' <russell.363 at osu.edu>
Cc: vanpulis.1 at osu.edu, Patrick Anton Fix <fix.2 at osu.edu>,
 "Westberg,Susan" <westbers at oclc.org>, "Block,Brenda" <blockb at oclc.org>

Hello,

These two records were most likely merged via the Duplicate Detection
and Resolution program perhaps as long ago as 1991 when that processing
began.  The problem is that the "microform" record does not have Form
(008/23) coded for a microform, there is no microform GMD in 245, there
is no indication of microform in 300, and no 533.  In addition, the
LCCNs were the same and the other match points used in automated
matching happen to coincide.

The fact there was another record input in the 38 million range and
again in the 40 million range that have also been merged may indicate
that someone else realized the same problem and re-input the record for
the original print version, but the coding problems on the "microform"
record lead to the same problem again.

Since you brought this one to our attention, I will fix the coding on
the "microform" record to actually represent a microform which would
prevent the problem from happening again in this particular case.
Unfortunately, there is no way at this point to undo a merge that
occurred in the distant past.  Since some other records in the same
microform series have similar coding problems, I will look for those to
fix them as well.

Thanks.

Robert Bremer
bremerr at oclc.org