[DCRM-L] nonroman signatures: revised instructions

Joseph Ross Joseph.T.Ross.40 at nd.edu
Fri Apr 1 15:00:07 MST 2005

This revision is a great improvement over the earlier instructions.  I like
the fact that emphasis is being placed on using the original scripts where
that is  possible, and I like the fact that transliteration is being used
to represent the alphabet rather than resorting to a numeric designation
that loses the distinction between numeric and alphabetic sequences.

Having researched this further since my earlier comments on Cyrillic
signatures, I think we just need to make a few more revisions.  Barry
Hinman has already indicated one issue that needs to be addressed:  the
number of letters in the alphabet and which alphabet is being used.

I have not seen any signatures in the modern Russian alphabet, but
signatures in the pre-1917 period  typically  use the Church Slavonic
alphabet which is usually considered to have  40 letters.  There are some
ambiguities about the number of letters in the alphabet as well as the
position of letters in the alphabet.   One bibliography that I have been
able to consult handles this problem by giving the letters (in original
script) and then indicating that the last letter =40 or whatever; and then
where the subsequent alphabets are only partially utilized, the position
value of the last letter is also given.

Cf.  A. Gorfunkel, Katalog knig kirillovsoi pechati 16-17 vekov. Leningrad,
1970:  entry 73: Apostol. Kiev. ...  Sobolia, nakladom Bogdana Stetkevicha.
1630.
   2(s 0=superscript 0) : A - V(with diaeresis) (s 4) (V with
diaeresis=39),  aa-rr (s 4)  (rr=18)  ss (s 2).

I think this is an elegant solution to the problem of an alphabet that has
such variability in the number and position of the letters, and I would
prefer this to Barry's suggestion of just indicating the number of letters
in the alphabet.

The example given in the epsilon draft for Cyrillic signatures is not a
very fortunate one.

Signatures: pi (s 2) A-Ë (s 6) [Zh] (s 6)   Z (s6); signed in Cyrillic script

The letter Ë was only officially introduced into the Russian alphabet in
1956.  It was first introduced in 1797 but did not receive official
acceptance even  with the revision of the alphabet in 1917.  Even today it
has a somewhat ambiguous status.  It is not always given in an alphabetic
sequence because no words begin with the letter.  I don't know if it ever
shows up in Cyrillic signatures, but I would prefer an example that does
not use this in the signature pattern.  Since we are dealing with early
imprints, an example using Church Slavic such as the signature example from
Gorfunkel would be much better.

I can find other examples from Gorfunkel if they are needed.

Joe Ross
University of Notre Dame